Mascara is my desert island product, the one cosmetic item that I would choose over all others if I could only have one. I have such pale eyelashes that look short and stumpy until I give them a good coat or two and then I feel normal again! I still remember the first time I tried mascara when I was 11 or 12. The Body Shop came to my Guides meeting to give a demo, and from that day on I have been hooked!
Mascara is basically used to define and colour your lashes, giving them thickness and length. Some mascaras focus on giving your lashes volume while others extend their length. Some give a natural look and some offer a dramatic effect. As I have said every week so far, choosing what is right for you comes down to personal preference - your preferred style and what nature gave you to work with. Stores and concessions often have samples available or will try out their products on you if you sit down for a consultation so experiment away! You will soon find what works for you.
Applying mascara can get a while to get used to but I find that once you get the hang of it, you will be able to put it on yourself better than a make up artist can.
- Try and get right from root to tip to lengthen your lashes.
- Build up the coats before each layer dries to add volume - you will soon find out how many times you can do this with your mascara before it goes spidery - each one is different.
- Use the tip of your mascara wand to get to the outer corner lashes.
- Apply other eye make up such as primer, shadow and liner BEFORE your mascara - it's just so much easier that way!
- I always curl my lashes first using these from No. 7. I heat them a bit with my hair dryer to set the curl better.
- Replace your mascara when it dries out or after around 3 months, whichever is sooner. And definitely straight away if you get an eye infection.
I prefer to use a black mascara that offers length and a bit of volume - not too natural but not too thick and spidery. These days, I tend to go for a waterproof mascara because they usually have better staying power and will neither budge nor smudge even after a long day at work and a visit to the gym. If you go waterproof, make sure you have a good oil-based eye make up remover on hand such as this one from No. 7.
I have a few mascaras but have two clear favourites:
L'Oreal False Lash Telescopic Waterproof Mascara £10.99
This is what I wear almost every single day. 1 coat gives long, thick, clump-free lashes that last all day at work. Layered, it gives a wow effect for the evening. I don't have one bad word to say about this mascara; it really is the best I have ever tried, better than lots of high-end brands.
Benefit They're Real £19.50
This mascara really does offer the incredible results it claims to - it gives me lashes I never thought possible! The one downside is that it dries out in the tube quite quickly and goes clumpy after a few weeks, in less time than I would usually expect to change my mascara.
What is your favourite mascara?
Leave your link if you have done a mascara post!