Sunday 12 May 2013

Sugar Lip Scrub and Salt Hand Scrub

 Last month, I had a lovely pamper day with my best friends for my birthday.  I invested in a basket full of products for us to use and we had great fun trying them all out!

The basket of goodies

I wanted to add a lip scrub to the basket and looked at the Lush ones.  However, when I saw the price tag and looked at the ingredients, I thought hang on a second... I have very similar ingredients at home so I could make something virtually identical without spending anything!  Since writing this blog post I have also seen lots of others on some lovely blogs - please share your links if you have had a go at some DIY products too!

The ingredients (minus sugar - I've now run out!)


Sugar Lip Scrub


Salt Hand Scrub
 

I decided to have a go at making a lip scrub and a hand scrub and the results were great!  The sugar was the perfect texture for lips (and face) as it was not too harsh, whereas the salt gave a more vigorous effect for the hands.  It works well on the upper arms too.  When you rinse off the scrub with warm water, the oil stays on the skin and can be rubbed in which feels gorgeous! 

 
 


LIP SCRUB
 
You will need:
a ramekin of coconut oil
a dash of lemon oil
a dash of lime oil
granulated sugar

  • First, soften the coconut oil in the microwave - don't let it get too hot or it will melt the sugar.
  • Mix in a few drops of the lemon and lime oils.  If you don't have these, you could substitute them with a grating of zest or a few drops of an essential oil - Tea Tree if you get sore lips or lavender before bed.
  • Spoon in the sugar and mix - I did this by feel until it was thick and grainy.



HAND SCRUB
 
You will need:
a ramekin of coconut oil
a dash of orange oil
coarse sea salt
  • Soften the coconut oil in the ramekin.
  • Add the orange oil.  Again, if you don't have this then substitute it for grated zest or an oil of your choice - floral scents would work nicely.
  • Add the sea salt and mix until it is thick and grainy.


The scrubs can be left to solidify and kept at room temperature, just soften them for a few seconds in the microwave before use. 


Have you tried any DIY beauty products?
 
I would love to know if you give these a whirl!

 
 

4 comments:

  1. Great idea to have a basket full of products for a pamper night. I'm definitely going to do this!

    Rachel x
    Lost In Lipstick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great - like a big pick n mix! x

      Delete
  2. I love Lush's lips scrubs but they are quite pricey - these sound like great alternatives and fun to make, too!

    Jess xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you give them a go!

      Rebecca x

      Delete

Hi, I love to read all your lovely comments. Let me know if you stop by!
Rebecca x